Table of Contents
We comply with both the Australian Privacy Principles as provided for in the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) and to the extent applicable, with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
It applies to our platform at www.virtuallegal.com (the “Site”) and any Virtual Legal Application we create which connects to, or is in connection with, the Site (the “App”).
Amendments and deleting your information
If you object to any changes, you may:
- discontinue your use of the Site &/or App; and/or
- request that we delete your information.
By continuing to use the Site &/or App after notice of changes has been sent to you or published on the Site &/or App, you are deemed to have consented to the changes.
How we collect Personal Information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- when you provide information directly to Us in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic, via our communication tools or otherwise);
- when you visit &/or use the Site &/or App, in which case, we record information sent to us by your computer, mobile device or other access device; and
- from third parties such as Our related entities, service providers to Us, operators of linked websites, applications and advertising on the Site &/or App.
What type of information we collect
- Your name, phone number, mobile telephone number, email address, physical address and other contact information;
- Your education, work experience, employer, skills and photo;
- events you attend and your interaction at the events within the Site &/or App;
- any social media data you choose to share with us or which is in the public domain;
- feedback, market research and opinion polls provided by you;
- records and content of communications with Us or any other person including when using the Site &/or App communication tools;
- personal information based on your activities on the Site &/or App;
- personal information you provide to us through any discussion boards, correspondence, user information pages, disputes, or shared by you from other social applications, services or websites;
- to the extent permitted by law, other personal information provided by or obtained from third parties (such as a credit bureau) including navigation and demographic data and credit check information;
- personal information from your interaction with the Site &/or App and its content and advertising, including device identifiers, device type, geo-location information, connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the Site &/or App, mobile network information, time, date, referring URL, the type of operating system and browser, ad data, IP address and standard web log data.
You understand that the App will show only your picture, name, phone number and social media link that you logged in with, and that you may then edit your profile information. You agree to not post or add personal data or information to your profile or account that you would not want to be publicly available.
How your personal information is used
How We use your data will depend on the Services you use and how your use those Services.
Our principal purpose in collecting, using and storing your personal information is to provide you with access to and use of the Site &/or App in a personalised, safe and efficient manner.
You consent to us collecting, using, storing and sharing your personal information to:
- Operate the Site &/or App, generate content and provide customer support and billing services (including updates and improvements);
- provide the services requested by you;
- provide you with information via blogs, general email and online correspondence and newsletters;
- research, develop and improve Our services;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with Our services;
- to generate statistics in relation to the Site &/or App;
- verify information for accuracy or completeness (including by way of verification with third parties);
- contact you at your contact details we have collected, by way of voice call, post, text message or email;
- aggregate &/or make anonymous your personal information, so that it cannot be used, whether in combination with other information or otherwise, to identify you;
- collect fees, resolve disputes and to identify, test and resolve problems;
- notify you about the Site &/or App; and updates to the Site &/or App from time to time; or
- supply you with generalised, targeted or personalised marketing, advertising and promotional notices, offers and communications based on your preferences, and measure and improve our marketing, advertising and promotions based on your ad customisation preferences.
You may opt out of receiving our marketing, advertising and promotional notices, offers and communications by communicating this to us by email.
You may also request that we delete your information at any time.
Disclosure to third parties
Notwithstanding section 6 above, you agree that we may disclose your personal information to:
- comply with any applicable law, request by a governmental agency or regulatory authority or legally binding court order;
- respond to or resolve claims that a member has violated the rights of others;
- protect a person’s rights, property or safety;
- Our staff, contractors, professional advisers and related entities strictly for the purpose of use in relation to the platform and/or associated services to you;
- outsourced service providers who assist Us to provide its services such as information technology providers and marketing advisers (including in relation to fee collection, fraud investigations and Site &/or App operations);
- third parties to whom you expressly ask us to send, or consent to us sending, your personal information;
- credit agencies (including regarding missed and late payments or other defaults or breaches on your account); or
Cookies may be used to provide you with our range of services including to identify you as a user or member of the Site &/or App, remember your preferences, customise and measure the effectiveness of the Site &/or App and our promotions, advertising and marketing, analyse your usage of the Site &/or App, and for security purposes.
You also may encounter Cookies used by third parties and placed on certain pages of the Site &/or App that we do not control and have not authorised (such as webpages created by another user). We are not responsible nor liable for the use of such Cookies.
No Spam, Spyware or Spoofing
You are prohibited from engaging in spam, spyware or spoofing type activities, regardless of whether directed towards Us or other users of Us.
You are not permitted to add a user or member to our mailing list (postal or email details included) without the written consent of a user or member.
Storage and security
We store and process your personal information on our host’s servers, currently located in multiple locations around the world. You consent to the transfer, storage and retention of that information onto the servers of our host provider used from time to time by Us, regardless of the location of those servers.
We have taken steps to protect your personal information by contracting with a third party to provide technical and security measures. These measures are designed to mitigate, but do not guarantee against, the risk of loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure and alteration.
We are committed to ensuring that the information you provide to us is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Where we employ data processors to process personal information on our behalf, we only do so on the basis that such data processors comply with the requirements under the GDPR and that have adequate technical measures in place to protect personal information against unauthorised use, loss and theft.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for the European Union (EU)
We will comply with the principles of data protection set out in the GDPR for the purpose of fairness, transparency and lawful data collection and use.
We process your personal information as a Processor and/or to the extent that we are a Controller as defined in the GDPR.
We must establish a lawful basis for processing your personal information. The legal basis for which we collect your personal information depends on the data that we collect and how we use it.
We will only collect your personal information with your express consent for a specific purpose and any data collected will be to the extent necessary and not excessive for its purpose. We will keep your data safe and secure.
We will also process your personal information if it is necessary for our legitimate interests, or to fulfil a contractual or legal obligation.
We process your personal information if it is necessary to protect your life or in a medical situation, it is necessary to carry out a public function, a task of public interest or if the function has a clear basis in law.
We do not collect or process any personal information from you that is considered “Sensitive Personal Information” under the GDPR, such as personal information relating to your sexual orientation or ethnic origin unless we have obtained your explicit consent, or if it is being collected subject to and in accordance with the GDPR.
You must not provide us with your personal information if you are under the age of 16 without the consent of your parent or someone who has parental authority for you. We do not knowingly collect or process the personal information of children.
Your rights under the GDPR
If you are an individual residing in the EU, you have certain rights as to how your personal information is obtained and used. We comply with your rights under the GDPR as to how your personal information is used and controlled if you are an individual residing in the EU.
Except as otherwise provided in the GDPR, you have the following rights:
- to be informed how your personal information is being used;
- access your personal information (we will provide you with a free copy of it);
- to correct your personal information if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- to delete your personal information (also known as “the right to be forgotten”);
- to restrict processing of your personal information;
- to retain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes;
- to object to your personal information being used; and
- to object against automated decision making and profiling.
We may ask you to verify your identity before acting on any of your requests.
Hosting and International Data Transfers
Information that we collect may from time to time be stored, processed in or transferred between parties or sites located in countries outside of Australia. These may include, but are not limited to Australia, UK, New Zealand and USA.
The hosting facilities for our website are situated in Australia.
Our Suppliers and Contractors are currently in Australia, but may in the future be situated in Australia, UK, New Zealand, the Philippines and USA. Transfers to each of these Countries will be protected by appropriate safeguards, these include one or more of the following:
- the use of standard data protection clauses adopted or approved by the European Commission which you can obtain from the European Commission Website;
- the use of binding corporate rules, a copy of which you can obtain from Our Data Protection Officer.
You acknowledge that personal data that you submit for publication through our website or services may be available, via the internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use (or misuse) of such personal data by others.
Access to your personal information
You may request details of personal information that we hold about you in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), and to the extent applicable the EU GDPR. If you would like a copy of the information which we hold about you or believe that any information we hold on you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please email.
We reserve the right to refuse to provide you with information that we hold about you, in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act or any other applicable law.